Sunday, February 9, 2014

Tasting - "The Little Penguin Pinot Noir"

Name: The Little Penguin Pinot Noir
Variety: Red Wine
Region: South Eastern Austria
Country: Austria
Year: 2012
Price: N/A (friend purchased the bottle)

Winery Notes"The bouquet shows sweet strawberry fruit aromas with hints of spice and delicate oak characters in the background. The palate is elegant, creamy and soft with lively yet subtle cherry and strawberry flavors. The finish is elegant and long."

~ Winery Notes


Review:  This past Thursday night, a bunch of friends and I got together to have wine night and to enjoy this bottle along with The Naked Grape bottle posted earlier, this was our Red wine choice of the night.  The initial smell was that of a forest, with trees and shrubs, dirt, and wood-like smells.  It brought me back to being out, camping with my family, and then the hit of fruit kicked in.  I couldn't really tell what fruits I was smelling just from the initial smell, so I went back in for another whiff, and I got hints of black cherry and raspberry.  The first taste was very explosive, tasting a wave of cherry, other berries, spices, tobacco, etc.  The flavors just hit me all at once and it was crazy.  It was a little strong for my taste, but it was a decent red wine.  Overall, I wouldn't choose this wine again, but it wasn't a "bad" red wine.  It was definitely a good contrast the white wine we had that night as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment